Monday 4 February 2013

10,000 views - A preview of what's to come


Retro Spirit Games went over the 10,000 views mark this weekend

A huge thank you to all of you who continue to read and (hopefully) enjoy my games reviews and features. 

It is hard work running Retro Spirit by myself as I need to play test all the games thoroughly in order to review them fairly AND keep a steady flow of content for the site. But it is worth it to be able to share my thoughts on the most creative and enjoyable games available to us today.

So thank you all very much. I hope you continue to visit and read the articles I produce for this site, I have many more reviews in progress as well as some cool ideas for special features, including a special feature on the legendary DOOM, which is 20 years old this year.








There are some fantastic indie and retro games coming out this year, and I am very excited at the prospect of playing, and reviewing them. Some of the titles I am itching to get my hands on include:



Runner 2 - Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

Commander Video is back in the sequel to the amazing infinite runner / twitch platformer 'Bit.Trip Runner'.






Escape Goat 2

One of the best games on XBLIG, and a wonderful single screen platform puzzle game, is getting a sequel. I can't wait.






Oliver & Spike

Usually I am not a fan of 3D platform games (except Mario 64 of course), but this looks to change that. An adorable 3D world and the ability to shift into other dimensions make this a very interesting prospect.






Flashback HD Remake

One of the greatest platform action games of the 16-bit era is getting a massive HD overhaul, and so far it looks amazing.






Chasm

A 2D Metroidvania Roguelike Platformer. How can this not be great?






Distance

The follow up to the amazing Nitronic Rush. This looks like a must have title for those who enjoy Wipeout and F-Zero style racers.






Spud's Quest

A wonderful looking game in the style of the Dizzy series of platformers that found a loyal following in the 80's and early 90's. It is almost upon us and looks very promising indeed.





Hammerwatch

A retro action hack & slash game that looks like a cross between a Roguelike and Gauntlet. After recently becoming addicted to Roguelike dungeon crawlers, I have high hopes for this.






Axiom Verge

Clearly inspired by Metroid, this action exploration platformer could be something very special indeed. Expect Super Metroid style alien boss encounters, new upgrades and abilities and, of course, lots of stuff to shoot.






I will, of course, be reviewing them as soon as physically possible. In the meantime keep reading the site for the lowdown on new retro and indie titles worth your time. 


Be sure to check out my PC Indie section too as I have been playing many older titles and adding them to the list. They will certainly keep you occupied and entertained.

Happy gaming!